Dentists can ‘Claim Their Practice’ at Dentsply Sirona World Event
“People live and conduct all their business on their mobile devices today. Dentistry is challenged because it has not embraced this new mobile-centric reality. Complicating things is the fact that consumers just don’t value dentistry as they do more trendy healthcare pursuits like yoga and meditation,” said Brian McCarthy, Executive Vice President of Dentsply Sirona’s subsidiary Futuredontics. “Dentistry.com is the online destination where the industry can band together to elevate the perception of dentistry to its proper place in healthcare.”
- 64 percent of people find dentists through online sources, i.e. search engines, dental insurance websites, or online review service
- More than half of all dentists believe in a strong online presence
- Dentists across the board say that acquiring new patients is one of their biggest challenges
“Dentistry.com is the only one-stop shop that provides patients with everything they need to know to make informed decisions about their oral health,” said Todd Daum, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Futuredontics. “From expert articles on dental care, researching dental procedures, or requesting an appointment with a local dentist, no other offering brings this together in one place. Our aim is to not just convert consumers into patients, but empower people to become their own health advocates.”
In the near future, Dentistry.com will roll out more features, including the ability for patients to book appointments directly from the site, and practice management system integrations to simplify Dentistry.com profile management. For more info, please visit www.dentistry.com.
Dentistry.com is an all-new, free online platform that’s dedicated to improving the state of dental health in this country by increasing the number of new patients who go to the dentist and accept treatment. It is a sister brand of 1-800-DENTIST® and part of Futuredontics®, a wholly owned subsidiary of Dentsply Sirona. Dentistry.com’s goal is to elevate dentistry to its proper place in healthcare as a valuable tool in preventive medicine by helping consumers find a trusted dentist who can help be their health advocate.
About Dentsply Sirona
Dentsply Sirona is the world’s largest manufacturer of professional dental products and technologies, with over a century of innovation and service to the dental industry and patients worldwide. Dentsply Sirona develops, manufactures, and markets a comprehensive solution offering including dental and oral health products as well as other consumable medical devices under a strong portfolio of world class brands. As The Dental Solutions Company, Dentsply Sirona’s products provide innovative, high-quality and effective solutions to advance patient care and deliver better, safer and faster dentistry. Dentsply Sirona’s global headquarters is located in York, Pennsylvania. The Company’s shares are listed in the United States on Nasdaq under the symbol XRAY. Visit www.dentsplysirona.com
The new destination for dentistry. Transforming lives through dental care.Dentistry.com is a free, online platform dedicated to improving the state of dental health in America by increasing the number of new patients who go to the dentist and accept treatment.
Dentistry.com is the new destination for dentistry. We elevate dentistry to its proper place in healthcare as a valuable tool in preventive medicine. Too many people don’t understand that good oral health means good overall health, and Dentistry.com
Dentistry.com is a platform provided by Dentsply Sirona, the world’s largest manufacturer of professional dental products and technologies.
- Creating the most trusted consumer education site for all things dental, featuring original, patient-friendly content, dentist-authored expert articles, and curated pro-dentistry news stories
- Improving the visibility and positive perception of the dental profession
- Raising national awareness of the dentist’s role in improving overall health
- Providing patients with a forum for meaningful online conversations with dentists
- Empowering patients to connect with practices and schedule appointments in the way today’s consumers prefer most
- Streamlining how patients research dental care, select dentists, and book appointments
- Allowing dentists and patients to connect via video for both introduction and diagnostic purposes
Current and future services provided by Dentistry.com will include:
- The largest, most detailed directory of dental practices – anywhere.
- Including search filters for insurance options, location, specialties, and more
- Claim Your Practice
- Enables dentists to attract patients by personalizing their Dentistry.com profile with detailed information about themselves and their practice
- Online appointment booking
- Patient education/content
- Expert dental advice
- Online communities for patients & dentists
Why Dentistry.com, Why Now
- Consumers are driving change in all industries, including dentistry. They’re demanding immediacy, transparency and the highest levels of service.
- Consumers are booking everything on their phones, yet dentistry as an industry has lagged in this new age.
- Dentistry needs help to be friendlier and easier, all while meeting the consumer where they are: online.
- We’ve seen an evolution in consumer health, driving interest in holistic health and wellness and preventative care.
- However, roughly 50% of adults under 65 still do not go to the dentist.
- This is changing: we live in a more visual world, fueled by social media – a great smile is more important than ever.
- The dental field has a perception problem: There is a value disconnect between health and dentistry, where consumers don’t perceive the value of dental care as an effective method of preventive medicine.
According to research done in conjunction with Ipsos Strategy:
- Three Key Challenges Faced by Dentists:
- Limited time and resources for marketing: The challenges involved with treating patients and overseeing the day-to-day activities of a dental team leave dentists with little time to focus on practice marketing. Dentists also recognize that their education has not trained them to effectively market their practices.
- Patients without proper education on oral health: Patients don’t have a holistic understanding of oral health, even with many sources of information. For patients, this fosters a sense of anxiety: they do not always feel that their dentist is acting in their best interest. This fear is largely due to lack of education, which not only negatively impacts patients’ desire to seek treatment, but also their willingness to accept treatment when prescribed.
- Dentistry.com solution:
Content with a focus on decreasing anxiety and increasing education so that patients are more comfortable during their visit.
- Dentistry.com solution:
- Managing patient expectations: As patients demand one-click-booking, scheduling flexibility, and a more seamless end-to-end process, it is becoming difficult for dentists to attract and retain patients who prioritize convenience over loyalty and long-term relationships.
- Dentistry.com solution: Tools that make the end-to-end process more seamless so that patients have fewer excuses for ignoring their dental health (i.e. practice profiles, online appointment booking, etc.).
- Dental Business Priorities: The operational aspects of their business can interfere with dentists’ ability to focus on their patients. Though patient relationships and good experiences are important, those factors are not always top of mind. Ultimately, there’s a disconnect between what dentists constitute as success and what they prioritize on a day-to-day basis – a gap that Dentistry.com helps
bridge. Priorities for dentists include:
- Increasing production (57%)
- Increasing number of patients (50%)
- Providing a better patient experience (41%)
- Establishing long-term relationships with patients (38%)
- Increasing acceptance of treatment plans (36%)
- Dental Business Challenges: Growth and patient management are the primary concerns and keeping up with marketing efforts is a key challenge. Other areas of concern include:
- Cost of marketing efforts (45%)
- Obtaining new patients (37%)
- Successfully utilizing social media (36%)
- Targeting the correct patients (35%)
- Handling insurance issues (35%)
- Finding time for marketing (33%)
- Acceptance of treatment plans (26%)
- Patient no-shows (26%)
- Managing the business/financial aspects (24%)
- Benefits that dentists seek in an online community revolve around need for both their business and their patients:
- Growing their business:
- Ways to acquire new patients
- Ongoing education to keep up to date
- Tools to help run their business
- Educating and connecting with patients:
- Ways to educate patients on oral care and costs
- Ways to better understand their patients’ needs and frustrations
- Ways to give back to the community
- Growing their business:
- Founded in 2018
- Based in Los Angeles, California
- Executive Team:
- Brian McCarthy – Executive Vice President
- Todd Daum – Senior Vice President of Marketing